I wanted to make a healthy dessert, and had a craving for some granola. It was the evening, and I was already in my pj’s, so going to the store to get some was out of the question! I looked up a couple of granola recipes, and didn’t quite have all of the ingredients, so I decided I’d stir something up myself.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2-4 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2-4 tsp brown sugar
- 1-2 tsp vanilla extract OR a dash (1-2 ml) vanilla sugar
- 1 tsp maple extract (optional)
- dash nutmeg (optional)
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds (optional)
- spread the oats in a DRY skillet/frying pan over medium heat on the stove. (do not use any oil or liquids!) Toast the oats for about 5 minutes until they start to turn light brown. (Depending on your stove, it may take 10 minutes. Continue to stir them around the pan after every minute to ensure they do not burn on one side.)
- remove pan from heat, and add all of the ingredients to the oats, adding the honey last.
- return to heat, turning the stove up to between medium and high.
- stir occasionally for about 3 minutes, then stir constantly for another 3 minutes. The oats should become a medium to dark brown, but not be burnt.
- remove pan from heat, and spread the oat mixture onto a plate to cool. (every few minutes during cooling time, take a fork and seperate the oats that clump together)
Now they’re ready to be eaten alone as a snack, or as a topping with fruit and yogurt! 🙂 Below is some vanilla fat free yogurt, sliced banana, and the freshly made granola!