I love pasta salad, but the issue that I have with many store bought ones is that they use mayonaise, and I don’t like that stuff at all. It’s bland, and tastes like eggs. So to solve this, I’ve thrown together a tangy, creamy and low in fat pasta salad! You can also use whole wheat pasta to make it even healthier. This recipe makes anywhere from two to four servings, depending on how hungry you are. 😉
NIKKI’S PASTA SALAD
- about 2 cups cooked pasta (cook pasta, drain, rinse in cold water a few times to ensure pasta will be cold yet not sticky)
- 1-2 chopped red,yellow or orange peppers
- 1 slice of medium red onion, finely chopped (alternately: you can use anywhere from 1 dash to 1 tsp onion powder if you don’t want onion chunks)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced (alternately: you can use 1-2 tsp garlic powder if you want a smoother dressing)
- 4-5 tbsp fat free/calorie wise miracle whip
- 2-3 tbsp mustard
- dash of cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- dash onion powder (if using chopped onions. If using onion powder in place of onions, you obviously can omit this extra onion powder)
- Mix all dressing ingredients together in bowl. Add pasta and stir. You can eat right away, or chill for up to one hour before serving. Can be kept in the fridge in an air tight container overnight, but tastes best when eaten right away.
- Optional: when serving, add cubed cheese, or feta cheese. Sprinkle with parmesan. Also, if you want a fully loaded salad, you can add in shredded carrots, corn, celery, or whatever other veggies you like! Just make sure you have enough dressing to fully cover the ingredients.