Keeping with my healthier baking blitz, I wanted to throw together something that was sweet with nutritional value. This is a great pre-workout snack, or breakfast bar!
This recipe makes about 30-40 small cookies/bars.
FRUITY-NUT OATMEAL COOKIES
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup reduced fat/fat free margarine
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups oats
- 1/2 cup finely chopped apple, peeled and seeds removed (about 1/2 of a large apple. golden delicious or granny smith works best.)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped peach, peeled and pit removed (about 1/2 of a large peach)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 3/4 cups almond slivers
For Chocolate and mocha variations:
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder (1 tbsp cocoa powder has only 20 calories, and gives tons of chooclate flavor!)
- Mocha: also add 1 1/2 tsp espresso powder.
- Pre-heat oven to 350. Line baking sheet with waxed paper and set aside. (you can lightly spray baking sheet with Pam if you don’t have waxed paper. Also, if you have mini-muffin tins, you can spray them with pam and use them to make two-bite cookies.)
- Mix margarine with sugar.
- Add eggs and mix well.
- Add all ingredients except the fruit and oats, and mix well. Add the fruit and stir. Then add the oats, and stir until all ingredients are mixed.
- Scoop up about 1 tbsp of cookie mixture, and drop onto the prepared baking sheet. Keep the cookies about 1/2 an inch apart. (If you want extra cinnamon flavor, you can sprinkle prepared cookies with cinnamon.)
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until edges of cookies are golden brown and the tops are no longer sticky to touch. Remove from baking sheet and cool on a wire rack or a 2 layered paper towel lined plate.