Mmm, I love banana bread! Such an indulgent bread, the only problem being that it’s not always healthy. Luckily, I’ve found a way to make some chocolate banana bread muffins that can double as a breakfast muffin, or a tasty treat, guilt free! 🙂 Enjoy!
This recipe makes 10 muffins (or if you like, one loaf of banana bread).
Nikki’s Healthy Chocolate Banana Bread Muffins
- 3/4 cups 12 grain whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup Splenda brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/8 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips (optional)
- 1/4 cup white chocolate chips (optional)
Crumble topping (optional) :
- 2 tbsp 12 grain whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp flaked or rolled oats
- 1 tbsp splenda brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
-Combind all crumble ingredients in a bowl, and set aside.
- Line muffin tin with paper cups.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Combine all dry ingredients (and chocolate chips) in large bowl, sift together and set aside. In another bowl, combind melted butter with eggs and vanilla an stir until mixed well.
- Mash the bananas in a seperate bowl, and add to the egg mixture. Stir well.
- Add egg mixture to dry ingredients, and mix well.
- Fill lined muffin tins 3/4 of the way full. (use a spoon and press the batter down to make sure they are flat on the top.)
- Sprinkle 1-2 tsp of crumble mix over each muffin.
- Bake in centre of oven for about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick poked in the centre of a muffin comes out clean (check after 20 minutes, then every 5 minutes after until they are done).
- Optional: you can drizzle melted dark chocolate over each muffin for garnish before serving.