A healthy side dish containing sweet potatoes and apples is a nice addition to the plate for my favourite season. Adding in the apples gives a sweet taste, which eliminates the need for any butter or sugar. (Although, with sweet potatoes, you hardly need sugar in the first place as they’re already so sweet!) Here’s my basic recipe for some mashed sweet potatoes. Enjoy! 🙂
This recipe makes 2 large servings, or 2 medium servings with some left over for lunch the next day. 😉
MASHED SWEET POTATOES & APPLES
- 1 medium to large sweet potato
- 1 apple
- cinnamon, nutmeg and cayenne pepper to taste (for this serving, I used about 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg and 1/4 tsp cayenne)
- peel the sweet potato, wash, and cut into cubes.
- place sweet potato cubes in a pot filled with enough water to cover the sweet potato fully, and boil until cubes are tender. The time varies, so check one of the cubes after 10 minutes, and then every 5 minutes after. You want them to be soft enough for a spoon to be able to mash them.
- drain the sweet potatoes, and set aside in a bowl.
- peel the apple, core, and cut into small pieces.
- place apple pieces in a pot filled with enough water to cover the apple pieces fully, and boil until apple pieces are tender. As with the sweet potatoes, check every few minutes (less time is needed to boil the apple) until the apple pieces are soft enough to mash with a spoon.
- drain the apples, and add to the bowl with the sweet potatoes.
- add in the cinnamon, nutmeg and cayenne pepper.
- mash all ingredients together either by hand, or with an electric mixer.
- Serve warm alongside whatever you like! This also tastes great cold.