Here’s a yummy and simple appetizer, or something that can even be served as part of a meal. Hummus is a great dip for both vegetables and any type of bread or cracker. I really like the extra added spice to the hummus, as it compliments the raw garlic very well. Without the blandness of the tahini added in, your taste buds will be able to fully enjoy the vast range of flavours that emerge from this dip.
Easy Spicy Hummus and Multi-grain Flatbread
- 1 can chick peas
- 3-4 cloves minced garlic
- 3 tbsp each fresh lemon juice and water
- 1 tbsp ev olive oil
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp hot sauce (any flavour you like!)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- Drain chick peas in a strainer, and rinse.
- Peel and crush garlic.
- Add all ingredients into blender or food processor, and blend until ingredients are a fine paste, stoping to scrape down the sides of the blender or food processor every 20-30 seconds until you are finished.
- (If using a blender, you should start with half a can of chick peas, and gradually add the remaining contents of the can as blenders don’t have as much power as a food processor. If you have a setting to make either baby food or sauce on your blender, use this setting, pulsing until all ingredients are mixed together. Then you can continue to blend constantly for about 15 seconds.)