I’ve always wanted to try a stuffed chicken breast recipe, but thought it might be too difficult. I was wrong! I’m not a fan of many of the apple or apricot recipes used, so decided to try a little something with what I had on hand to suit my tastes. I paired this with a whole grain pasta and my light basil pesto sauce, but found it a bit too heavy for this meal. So I suggest pairing it with a light salad. Enjoy! 🙂
Sun-dried Tomato Stuffed Chicken Breast
- 2 chicken breasts
- 4 tbsp light cream cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped sun-dried tomato
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp celery salt
- Dash roasted red pepper flakes
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Hot water
- 3 Oxo chicken bullion packets (or 1-1/2 cups chicken broth)
- Mix all ingredients except the chicken in a bowl together.
- Lay the chicken breast on a flat surface, and cut as if to do a butterfly cut.
- Place half of the mixture in a long tube shape down the middle of the first chicken breast. Roll the chicken breast like a jelly roll, and secure closed with tooth picks. Repeat for the second breast.
- Add ev olive oil to a deep frying pan, and brown the chicken on all sides on medium heat.
- Add the 3 oxo chicken bullion packets to about 1-1/2 cups of hot water in a bowl and stir. Add this liquid to the pan, cover the chicken, and simmer for between 15-18minutes on medium heat turning the chicken a couple of times throughout this time.
- Place each piece of chicken onto a large plate and cut in half (this is for presentation AND to ensure that the chicken is thoroughly cooked.)
- Place on dinner plates to serve.
- Optional sauce:
In a bowl, mix 4 tsp light cream cheese and 4 tbsp of the remaining chicken broth from the pan. Stir together until a smooth and creamy sauce forms. To remove any lumps, microwave for about 15 seconds, and stir again. Drizzle this sauce sparingly over the chicken. Or even try drizzling a balsamic reduction over the chicken before serving.