Following the mint-craze of my last post, here is my version of a peppermint mocha. It blends three amazing flavours: coffee, chocolate and peppermint! (As almost everyone is already familiar with…) For the espresso, you can either brew your own or use instant espresso powder, both work well for this beverage. For my version, I like to add some peppermint syrup into the milk before heating it up, and then frothing some of the milk to give a creamy taste without using whipped cream. You can obviously add whipped cream to it if you like though. Enjoy! 🙂
Nikki’s Peppermint Mocha
- 1-2 shots espresso (either freshly brewed, or instant espresso powder)
- 3 tsp cocoa powder
- 3 tsp warm water
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 2 tsp peppermint syrup (for the cocoa/espresso)
- 2 tsp peppermint syrup (for the milk)
- Garnish: red sugar sprinkles
- Prepare the espresso in 1 or 2 shot glasses and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the cocoa powder with the 3 tsp warm water and the other 2 tsp of peppermint syrup until blended well into a syrup consistency, and set aside.
- In a microwave-safe glass/mug, microwave the milk with 2 tsp of peppermint syrup for about 30 seconds. Stir the milk, and put back in the microwave for another 30 seconds. when finished, stir again to ensure an even temperature.
- Remove the milk from the microwave, and pour half of it into your coffee mug. then, using a milk frother, froth the remaining milk and set aside. (If you don’t have a milk frother, don’t worry. You can also make this recipe without frothing the milk!)
- Pour the espresso and the chocolate syrup into your mug. Then pour in the remaining frothed milk.
- Garnish with red sugar sprinkles, and enjoy! 🙂