One of my favourite applications for the iPhone in regards to recipe ideas is the Whole Foods Market iPhone app. I don’t really shop at that grocery store, but they have some amazing ideas on their website! I tried out this recipe, and was so happy with it! If a gingerbread man and a graham cracker were mixed together, this is what you’d get! For Christmas time, you can even sprinkle some red sugar sprinkles onto the cookies prior to putting them into the oven, or even decorate them with some icing. This recipe was adapted from the full 24 cookie recipe on the Whole Foods Market recipe application for the iPhone, and makes 12 small to medium-sized cookies. (Note: in the original recipe, for 24 cookies it calls for only 2 eggwhites. For this half-sized version of the recipe, I had to keep the egg white quantity at 2 because the dough was too crumbly and fell apart when kneading.)
Graham Cracker Cookies
- 156 g flour (whole wheat or unbleached)
- 1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 each baking soda and salt
- 1 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 egg whites
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp liquid honey
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla
- 1 egg white set aside in a bowl
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- mix the sugars and cinnamon in a small bowl, and set aside.
- pre-heat oven to 350 F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Add butter and work into the flour with your finger tips until completely incorporated and mixture resembles fine meal. In a medium bowl, whisk together the 2 egg whites, brown sugar, honey and vanilla. Add this to the flour mixture and stir until a sticky dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a very well floured surface and roll out into a (10-inch) square that is about 1/4 inch thick. Cut into 6 squares, then cut each square in half-length ways or on an angle. (Or even use a cookie cutter for different shapes!) Transfer onto prepared baking sheet about 1 cm apart.
- Lightly and carefully brush the tops of each cookie with the egg white you have set aside in the bowl. Ensure you don’t allow any egg white to get onto the parchment paper, otherwise the cookies will stick. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture lightly over each cookie. Bake until a darker shade of brown and fragrant, for about 14 minutes. (Check the cookies after 12 minutes.) Set aside to cool completely before serving. The cookies will harden as they cool.