I love the combination of fresh lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil and garlic, so quite often I will make a tabbouleh salad. However, when I’m running low on time, I like to use the dressing I make for tabbouleh (with a few alterations) in a fresh vegetable salad. A salad is one of the most simple and versatile dishes imaginable. Here’s what I tossed together for last night’s dinner salad. You can include almost any fresh vegetable in this salad, but I’ll list the ingredients that I used. I do recommend omitting anything too sweet such as fruit (fresh or dried) in this particular salad, as it may overpower the flavour of this milder dressing. Enjoy! 🙂
This recipe makes 2 servings.
Vegetable Salad with Lemon Garlic and Basil Dressing
- 1 orange, red or green bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1/4 large red onion, sliced and diced
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 2 cups iceberg lettuce
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced or finely chopped
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, finely chopped
- dash of salt and pepper
- Place 1 cup of fresh lettuce in each salad bowl.
- Combine chopped pepper, onion and bean sprouts in a large bowl.
- Mix all dressing ingredients in a small bowl, and pour over the ingredients in the large bowl.
- Toss all ingredients in the dressing.
- Divide the contents of the large bowl over the lettuce in the two salad bowls.
- Eat and enjoy! 🙂