I had some zucchini and eggplant sitting in the fridge a few nights ago, and had to make something for dinner. My husband is a meat eater,but even he enjoyed this meat-free dish! 🙂 This recipe serves 2 people. (Sorry, I don’t have a picture this time around!) Here’s what I threw together:
- 1 eggplant
- 3 zucchini
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced/finely crushed and chopped
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 medium red onion
- 1/2 cup bulgur (medium grade. bulgur must be put into a bowl,and soaked in 1 cup warm water for about 1 hour, OR you can microwave it at 45 second intervals. It usually takes me 2- 45 second intervals to get it to the proper texture. Once soaked, drain the bulgur by taking small handfuls and squeezing out the water, and putting the squeezed bulgur in a separate bowl.)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup feta cheese (not vegetarian, but you can substitute this obviously for vegetarian cheeses….)
- extra virgin olive oil (1 tbsp, and 2 tbsp.)
- dash salt and pepper
- cut the eggplant in half, then slice each half into 1/4 inch slices.
- lay out in large bowl/plate in layers, sprinkling a dash of salt over each layer to soak up any oils from the eggplant.
- put a frying pan over medium heat, and cook the eggplant slices on each side for about 5-10 minutes (until golden brown and shriveled)
- set aside in a bowl/plate lined with paper towel.
- peel and slice zucchini into 1/4 inch slices.
- slice and chop the red onion.
- place the first tbsp of extra virgin olive oil into the pan, and cook the zucchini and onion with 1/2 of the lemon juice until the onion turns golden.
- in a seperate bowl, mix the cheese, basil, garlic, salt & pepper.
- pour the zucchini mixture into the bowl with the cheese, and stir well.
- add the bulgur, add the other 1/2 of the lemon juice, and stir well again.
- line 2 bowls with the sliced eggplant.
- pour the zucchini bulgur mix into each bowl.
- garnish with some freshly chopped basil.
- enjoy! 🙂