Timbits from Tim Hortons… Tiny Tom Donuts… Krispy Kreme… The sugar donuts you can get from the grocery store… Oh, those are all good, aren’t they? Yeah…
Unfortunately, they’re also SUPER bad for you. Have you looked at the calories and fat content of these tasty little things? Just horrible… So when looking in one of my baking cook books (1500 Best Bars, Cookies, Muffins, Cakes & More by Esther Brody), I found a recipe that appealed to the side of me that wanted donuts… Rather than make the recipe as is in the book, I worked with the general idea, changed a bunch of things, and here is what I came up with! Here is my tasty little spiced “donut”, no deep frying required! They don’t taste exactly like donuts, but they’re close enough for me! Enjoy! 🙂 This recipe makes 12 mini muffins.
Baked Mini “Donuts”
- 1 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/8 tsp each ground nutmeg and cinnamon
- 2 tbsp vanilla almond milk
- Coating: 1-2 tbsp each icing/powdered sugar and ground cinnamon, mixed together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Pre heat your oven to 375 F.
- Line a mini muffin pan (for 12 mini muffins) with paper muffin cups.
- In a bowl, mix the butter and sugar until smooth.
- Add the egg white, and stir.
- Add the vanilla almond milk, and stir.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, and stir just until mixed.
- Spoon about 12 tbsp of the batter/dough into each mini muffin cup. (Filled to just below the top!)
- Flatten the batter with the back of the spoon, and bake in the middle of the oven for 12-15 minutes. (Toothpick or knife inserted into the center will come out clean, and the tops will no longer be sticky. Careful not to over bake!
- Remove from the oven, and take the first mini muffin out of the tin (careful, it’s hot!).
- Remove the paper cup, and roll the mini muffin in the sugar-cinnamon mixture.
- Set aside on a plate, and repeat with each muffin. (This step needs to be done while the muffins are still warm.)
- Enjoy on their own, or with a cup of your favorite donut-dipping beverage! 🙂