Some very good words: sweet, fruity, rich, creamy, decadent, tangy, spicy…
Some very good foods: strawberries, goat’s milk cheese, whole wheat baguette, balsamic vinegar, cinnamon, nutmeg…
I know it’s not quite strawberry season, so I can’t get strawberries locally, but I just couldn’t resist grabbing some on my way home today anyways. On the weekend, I had a salad that consisted of simply: strawberries, goat’s milk cheese (so smooth and creamy!), candied pecans, and lettuce. It was so good that I’ve been craving something with a goat cheese and strawberry mixture constantly since eating that salad. I usually enjoy a strawberry or raspberry balsamic vinaigrette with my salads, but wanted something more filling for my pre-dinner snack. So I decided on this! Two things I can promise you: this is simple, and this is tasty.
Balsamic Marinated Strawberries with Goat Cheese on a Whole Wheat Baguette
- Skim goat’s milk cheese (less fat and calories than regular goat’s milk cheese!)
- Whole wheat baguette
- 1/2 lb strawberries (this will serve quite a few people, but if it’s just for you that’s okay, the left overs can be used to make some jam! Recipe coming soon! 😉 )
- About 4 tbsp raspberry balsamic vinegar (you can use regular balsamic vinegar, however I really love the taste of this stuff… I’ll post a picture of it at the end of this post!)
- About 1 tbsp organic raw cane sugar (or any type of sugar you like)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Wash the strawberries, and then thinly slice them. Place in a bowl.
- Add the balsamic vinegar, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir, cover, and place in the fridge for about one hour.
- Lightly toast as many slices of the baguette that you want, and spread some of the goat’s milk cheese on each slice.
- Place a few slices of the marinated strawberries onto each slice of the baguette, and enjoy! 🙂
There’s nothing more to it! So simple, so tasty… Such an interesting blend of flavours! 🙂